Thursday 4 August 2011

Then and Now

2 years ago I got engaged in Paris...
1 year ago I earned my masters degree and got a great job- a week later I married the love of my life...
5 and a 1/2 months ago my husband was offered his dream job in London...
the next day we found out we were pregnant and decided to move to across the pond.

which brings us to today- I am now 6 and a 1/2 months pregnant with our son, and on day 5 of UK living!
Tom had to go to work the day after we arrived so i have been on my own most of the week, which is exactly what i needed after last weeks craziness. Saying goodbye to friends, family, and my dog (he's joining us in exactly 60 days from today), being homeless and staying at my in-laws, tying up all loose ends in the US, and being diagnosed with gestational diabetes 2 days before we left- i was more than exhausted and stressed out to stay the least.

we are currently staying in a short term apartment (a hotel suite) until the 27th while our new cottage is being moved out of and renovated. The area we are staying in is nice, but just a tad different from what I am used to. for one we don't have a car- which you don't need because you are in the city but that alone takes some getting used to. We have walked around the neighborhood a couple of times- restaurants, shops, the tube (subway) are all within a 2 minute walking distance. once we get our mobiles (cell phone) i will venture out and explore the city more in dept, but a big preggo shouldn't be walking a strange city by herself with no phone :o)

I would have to say the most interesting aspect of moving abroad so far would have to be the grocery shopping. unlike in the US, you don't go to the store and stock up on everything you could possibly need for 2 weeks or so. Here you take a tiny little basket and put three things in it and go. We went our first day to get a few things we needed for the week- eggs, meat, cheese, salad, veggies, bread, soda, and water. we look around and realize 1- we are the only ones with a shopping cart and 2- the woman with 3 kids in front of us has 2/3rds less in her basket than we do. We both just look at each other and say" we have a lot of learning to do".

No comments:

Post a Comment