Tuesday 16 August 2011

rough week

 The second week of London living has concluded- but not without a few tears and scares. Monday night we just finished dinner and are sitting down on the couch watching TV, chillaxing, when BAM- out of no where I start having this extremely painful cramping going on in my stomach. My first thought is that Jax just kicked me really hard or he moved into some weird position, but after a minute of this not going away I start to get a little panicky. It felt as if I had a charlie horse in my stomach- I'm thinking OMG am I going into labor? It's way too soon!!!Tom is not alarmed at first- he just thinks im being overdramatic, as usual- until I stand up and he sees the fear in my face. Immediately I am trying to stretch and rub out this cramp and Tom jumps up. I tell him to pull out the bible (What to Expect When Your Expecting) and look up Braxton Hicks contractions. I have read over what these are, but everywhere I read said most women don't feel them so I didn't pay that much attention. Tom's reading aloud as I'm pacing back in forth in the bedroom- we are both freaking out. Is this due to the fact that I had 2 sips of Diet Coke? Turns out it was just the Braxton Hicks contractions, but of course I couldn't stop the anxiety train now. Needless to say, Jax is OK and has been kicking up a storm- just one more side effect of pregnancy that could do without experiencing again.

As I said in my original post, my dog, Elvis will not be making the trip across the pond until October 4th. I have an unhealthy obsession with my pie (that's one of his 500 nick names). I picked him up from the breeder when he was 5 weeks old and haven't been apart from him from longer than 2 weeks since. I know, I know, it's a dog- but this little pug is my baby. He sleeps with us every night, follows us around 24 hrs a day, and is happiest when he is snuggled next to you or when you treat him to a piece of cheese. Well, knowing that I will not see him for another 49 days, as of today, is killing me and last week I couldn't let it go. It's tough being here alone in this temporary housing, with nothing to do, and no one to talk to while Tom is at work. Everyday I count down the hours until Tom comes home, but, he has worked all day and has to catch up on everything he has missed in the world all day and night and veg out. Elvis is my little buddy- we just wants to be loved and played with and he loves to keep you company- I would give anything for him to be here now. My brother and his girlfriend have been more than amazing. Everyday they either send me pictures of the pie or Skype so I can see him and say hi, which is beyond anything they have to do, but it breaks apart of my heart at the same time because I just miss him so much and feel that I would be adjusting better here with him by my side. I know it's silly, and I sound like some crazy dog lady, but my heart just melts for that little wrinkle. I am hoping that when we move into our actual home in 2 weeks that I will be so distracted "nesting" and decorating the house that the time will go by faster. 
   

2 comments:

  1. I"m not sure why anyone would say you don't feel Braxton Hicks, - I remember them very well and sometimes they'd be quite painful.

    As for being lonely during the day, I also remember that. You should take advantage of the mildness of the English climate and just go for a long walk every day. Even if you don't meet anyone, it's better than sitting looking at four bare walls, and unless you're on bed rest, probably good for you. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt BH too. Knowing when you're in labour is a tricky one, but I would say when it really starts, you'll know. Good luck :-)

    ReplyDelete